Friday, October 14, 2005

My intentions are not what you think.

Following the Colls Girls Field Hockey Team and eargerly waiting for Thursday's Star Ledger to see the Girls Cross Country rankings does not mean I am perverted or full of lacivious thoughts.

It is just that, right now, girls sports are more interesting.

Field Hockey is not something I knew much about until recently, and I still know very little. But I do know that Amy is awesome, that Katie rocks, and that Kristen is the best! Amy came over my house to hang with my babysitter this summer. She has white, white hair, and when I saw her in my house I was giddy. "That's Amy!" I shouted inside my head. Keeping my emotions inside seem like a good idea because high school girls don't usuaully have 36 year old groupies who don't also have a prime billing on Meagan's List.

The thing with this field hockey team is this: I come from a small town, and their success has a Hoosier-esque quality, nothing more. My wife points out that I took off from work once to go to her pre-natal medical exams; I left work early 5 times to see the Lady Panthers play. My wife's pregancy, I shamefully admit, was considered at-risk, to boot.

Now, girls Cross-Country has also tickeled my fancy as of late, mainly due to the introduction of Briana Jackucewicz. She was a phenom before she could spell it. I think she beat Joan Benoit Samuleson, 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist, at the age of 11. She holds the national junior record for 5000 meters at 16:43. Shedid that at age 13. The Junior classification includes kids up to 18. In other words she still has 5 years to better her record.

Anyway, I ran into her training at Brookdale CC and spoke to her dad for about an hour. He is a nut and is either training the next great runner or will destroy her body and soul by the age of 17. Thus, I follow her as I would a soap opera. But I am rooting for her to succeed. it would be neat to say I knew her when...

Go Briana and Go Collingswood! Girls Rule and Boys Drool!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steakbellie said...

you're right, it's downright creepy to read, but why SHOULDNT you be able to be excited about a girls sports team?!?!

ArtieLange said...

Thank you, Steakbellie for both understanding my hesitency to "go public" as well as my joy of the sport and its athletes.